About Me

Currently a graduate student at the University of South Carolina, I study urban sociology and inequality. Originally from Western Pennsylvania, I am particularly interested in how changes in regional economic structures effect stratification and mobility opportunities, particularly for the working class. I also participate in the scholarship of teaching and learning.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Some Interesting Links, 10/18/2011

Here is a good overview of U.S. economic inequality.  Here is another good overview by the sociologist Domhoff. I understand that this is much of what is motivating the Occupy Wall Street protestors. Speaking of, I have heard good stuff about the Occupy Pittsburgh events this past week. Pittsburgh made it into this NPR story which documents the events over the weekend all over the country.  I visited with the Occupy Columbia folks a bit yesterday evening. They were friendly.  Here is some photos of them. They marched through USC's campus yesterday afternoon. Here is video of that.  I like this story from a local newspaper on the Occupy Columbia folks because it ends with the ominous line that "Protesters said they plan to stay 'indefinitely.'"


Here is an editorial by Nouriel Roubini on the instability of inequality.


Another thing concerning me is this interview with Jane Mayer on Fresh Air about how efforts by Art Pope in North Carolina have dramatically changed the state's politics. Here is the original article by Mayer. 


Also, I really enjoyed the recent 10 Questions interview with George Clooney in Time Magazine. Asked if he follows Twitter, he said, "No, because I drink in the evening and I don't want anything I write at midnight to end my career." That's funny, but it's a real concern, too.  It is difficult, wanting to engage in social and public online forums, but also being unsure of how much of yourself it is appropriate to share.

An Amish man's beard is important to him.


For the urban sociologists out there, this is some interesting work on how industry sectors define metro areas.

In this interesting post, with maps, Jim Russell argues that "The rust belt is culturally and politically complicated." I agree.

What does the Sociological Imagination mean in today's society?  If you have something to say about it, the folks at the Sociological Imagination blog are looking for submissions.